The marketing activities in highland vegetable producing areas may be summarized as follows in the period from 1970 to present.
1. As the interrigional competition for Cabage aggravated market performance by the expansion of the production scale in producing areas depended on the enlargement of individual farm and Japanese Radish was declined by replant failure, specially, in highland vegetable producing areas more than 1000m above the sea level. But the increment of Chinese Cabbage in highland vegetable producing areas in the place of Cabbage was assumed to be the cutthroat compctition under the limiting factor that Chinese Cabbage did not produce efficient effects on account of the products character. Accordingly, demand creation by Lettuce as competitive strategy was the large subject and its efforts attained a full success on condition that the demand of fresh vegetables increased in responce to diffusion salad.
2. The interregional competition among producing areas in Nagano prefecture become intensely in the season when overlapped outlet in highland and quasi-highland because of having diffused mulching technology in rather highland than quasi-highland. On the another side, proceeding of innovation in not only mulching but also mechanization in vegetable production promoted the farmer fulfilled the enlargement of producing scale and increased yield in highland more than in quasi-highland, so that farm in highland gave high income as a whole.
3. Quasi-highland areas decided on adapting Spinach, Broccoli and so on whiclz it had been difficult to transport at long distance market because of perishable products up to that time, so that coldchain system was established by building precooeer equipments in producing areas after several years, market price took a favorable turn and farm income became better.
4. Interregional competition evolved not only between highland and quasi-highland areas but also between Nagano prefecture and the areas that are willing to enter market in the later half of the 1970's. For example, Chinese Yan production declined market power by the entry and increment of production in Aomori prefecture, in short period, so that such areas in Nagano prefecture had to convert into the Lettuce production. As, on the another side, the replant failture of Chinese Cabbage, as a result of replanting and much expending artificial manure, pervaded in both highland and quasi-highland areas, these areas too converted into Lettuce production.
5. Lettuce production that had become the main crop in many vegetable producing areas went wrong, in recent years, because quasi-highland areas included areas where converted from other crop into Lettuce production, and also the interregional competition between highland and quasi-highland areas was aggrevated by the progress in mulching technology in highland areas.
6. The new product exploitation and product differentation did not progress except for two kinds of crop, namely, Asparagus and Greenball. Because, in such crops, the scale of market is limitted, in spite of the efforts of marketing organization and also because demand creation is difficult under overproduction as a whole.